WHAT IS BIOKINETICS?
Biokineticists are qualified health professionals who specialize in the use of exercise as medicine to treat and assist various injuries, conditions and disabilities. As a profession, Biokineticists are concerned with health promotion, the maintenance of physical abilities and final phase rehabilitation, by means of scientifically based physical activity program prescription.
HOW CAN A BIOKINETICIST HELP ME?
Biokineticists can assist a patient in a variety of different circumstances, such as:
- Athletes wanting to recover from injury and return to sport.
- Athletes hoping to improve their performance and better their injury prevention protocols.
- Pre and post operative care from orthopedic operations.
- Healthy individuals wanting to get active in a safe, sustainable environment as well as managing lifestyle injuries which affect daily living.
- Elderly individuals aiming to improve quality of life and be functionally independent.
- Children needing additional supervision to assist with movement shortfalls, injury prevention and injury management.
- Pregnant women striving to be active during pregnancies as well as helping them prepare physically for the process of birth.
- Individuals with chronic diseases such as cardiac conditions, arthritis, fibromyalgia and obesity.
I’M NOT INJURED OR SUFFERING FROM A DISEASE, CAN I STILL GO SEE A BIOKINETICIST?
Yes, Biokineticists are experienced exercise specialists and can train you accordingly depending on your needs whether you want to lose weight, gain strength or focus on a specific performance goal.
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BIOKINETICIST AND A PHYSIOTHERAPIST?
A physiotherapist deals with first phase rehabilitation in situations where a patient is dealing with pain, inflammation and swelling. These issues are managed through manual therapy such as massage, dry needling and mobilization. Once these issues have been resolved and they are ready to restore movement and become active they will be referred to a Biokineticist for scientific assessment and program prescription. Physiotherapists and Biokineticists work closely together to ensure the best outcome for the patient.
ARE BIOKINETICISTS REGISTERED WITH A MEDICAL BOARD?
Yes, Biokineticists are registered with the Biokinetics Association of South Africa (BASA) and the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA).
CAN I CLAIM FROM MEDICAL AID?
Yes, you can claim for your sessions from your medical aid savings account. SA Bio operates as cash practice so you will be required to settle your account with SA Bio first and claim back after which the medical aid will pay you directly.
DO YOU DO MOMENTUM MULTIPLY AND DISCOVERY VITALITY FITNESS ASSESSMENTS?
Yes, our biokineticists are registered to do both Momentum Multiply and Discovery Vitality fitness assessments. As of 2020, the prices and times are as follows:
Discovery Vitality Fitness Assessment = R445,40 (45 Minutes)
Momentum Multiply Fitness Assessment = R395 (35 Minutes)
When booking the appointment the biokineticist will make you aware of what to bring with you.
I’M NOT WITH A MEDICAL AID, CAN I STILL DO A FITNESS ASSESSMENT?
Yes, SA Bio has a general fitness assessment protocol, which includes test components for the following:
- Body Composition: Height, Weight, Blood Pressure, Circumferences, Skinfolds.
- Cardiorespiratory Fitness.
- Muscular Strength & Flexibility.
- Functional Capacity.
You will receive a detailed report with additional options, such as individualized programs to improve on identified risk areas.
I DON’T LIVE IN SOUTH AFRICA; CAN I STILL HAVE A CONSULTATION WITH A BIOKINETICIST ONLINE?
Yes, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic we have had to adapt to taking our skills online to keep assisting our patients during this difficult time. This has allowed us to reach a wide variety of people from all over the world through the use of specialized programming and video sessions. If you are interested in this option please contact us for more information.